Jump start your master's degree at UMGC Europe with transfer credits.
Up to 6 credits of graduate coursework may be considered for transfer to most graduate degree programs at UMGC if earned at an approved institution and if applicable to the student’s program of study. The Graduate School may accept up to 3 graduate transfer credits for a certificate program.
All graduate credits considered for transfer credit must meet the following criteria:
- The credits must have been completed at the graduate level or recommended for graduate-level credit by the American Council on Education (ACE).
- The credits must not have been used to meet the requirements for any degree the student previously earned or is expected to earn.
- The credits must have been awarded within the time limit for the degree or certificate.
- The student must have earned a grade of B or better in the courses considered for transfer. (However, these grades are not included in the calculation of the student’s grade point average.)
- The transfer courses must be determined as relevant to the student’s program of study.
- The credits must have been earned at a U.S. approved institution. Approved institutions include those approved by the following regional associations:
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education
- Northwest Commission of Colleges and Universities
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities
Other institutions may be approved based on agreements and/or joint programs with UMGC. A student requesting transfer credit must provide a course description, a course syllabus, and an official transcript. Please contact the Office of Graduate Programs for further details.
Social Work Program
Under certain circumstances, students may receive a maximum of 29 semester hours for work completed not more than five years prior to first registration from a CSWE-accredited graduate school of social work and for which a grade of at least a “B” was received. No course, including any transfer course, may be counted toward a degree if it was completed more than 7 full calendar years prior to the date of graduation. Field credits do not transfer. All Field Education requirements must be completed as part of this MSW program.
Students must complete a minimum of 32 credits in the Salisbury University Department of Social Work to be eligible for the master’s degree.
Students currently or previously enrolled in another CSWE accredited masters of social work degree program who are seeking admission as a transfer student are required to submit the following materials:
a brief written statement describing the reasons why they are requesting the transfer;
a copy of Field Education evaluations, if applicable; and,
one of the three recommendations must be from a faculty member or Field Supervisor affiliated with the program.
Students from non-MSW graduate programs may receive a maximum of six transfer credits for courses for which s/he has earned a grade of "A" or "B". Each course will be assessed for program equivalency. Official determinations of allowable credit for coursework completed elsewhere will be made at the time of admission.
Ready to Get Started?
First, you'll need to apply to UMGC. Once you are accepted and ready to start a graduate program, simply fill out the form at the bottom of our evaluation submission page and upload a copy of the syllabus for each course you have taken at previous institutions.