Skip Navigation

Undergraduate Grades and Records

Learn about UMGC's academic standards as you pursue your undergraduate degree.

UMGC standards for academic rigor assess the degree to which you demonstrate content mastery, application of critical thinking skills, and adherence to UMGC's code of academic integrity.

Grading methods

There are four grading methods at UMGC. The most commonly used is the standard method. The pass/fail alternative is available only under limited conditions. The satisfactory/D/fail method is restricted to certain specified courses. Any course may be audited. Regulations for each are given in the following paragraphs.


Unless you choose either the pass/fail or audit option at the time of registration, you will be given a letter grade according to the standard method. Under the standard grading method, you are given a grade of A, B, C, D, or F on the basis of your performance in meeting the requirements of each course. For only a very few courses, the standard grading method is replaced by the satisfactory/D/fail method.


If you are a degree-seeking student, have earned 30 credits (including at least 15 credits at UMGC), and have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0, you may take one elective course each standard term (fall, spring, or summer) on a pass/fail basis, up to a maximum of 18 credits. You must elect pass/fail grading at the time you register. This status may not be changed after the first week of 8-week classes.

This grading method is allowed only for electives. Required courses (e.g., general education courses and courses for the major and minor) may not be taken pass/fail, nor may pass/fail grading be used in retaking a course for which a letter grade was earned previously.

If you register for pass/fail grading, you must still complete all the regular requirements of the course. The teacher evaluates your work under the normal procedure for letter grades and submits a regular grade. Grades of A, B, C, or D are then converted to the grade P, which is entered into the permanent record. A grade of F remains unchanged.

Although a grade of P earns credit toward graduation, it is not included in calculating a grade point average. A failing grade carries no credit, and the failing grade is included in the computation of grade point averages.


This grading method is available only on a limited basis, primarily for experiential learning courses. Although a grade of satisfactory (S) earns credit toward graduation, it is not included in calculating grade point averages. The grade of D earns credit and is included in computing grade point averages. While a failing grade (F) earns no credit, it is included in computing grade point averages.


If you do not wish to receive credit, you may register for courses as an auditor once you are admitted. You must indicate this intention when you register. You may request a change from credit to audit status anytime before the end of the first week of 8-week classes. As an auditing student, you do not have to complete course assignments, but you may choose to do so to receive faculty feedback on your work.

Audited courses are listed on the permanent record, with the notation AU. No letter grade is given for audited courses, nor are credits earned. Auditors pay the same fees as those taking the course(s) for credit.

Grades and Marks



Exceeds standards
Performance excels far above established standards and demonstrates high proficiency in the course subject area



Performance consistently meets standards and demonstrates proficiency in the course subject area



Meets standards
Performance generally demonstrates proficiency in most course subject matter 



Performance is insufficient to meet established standards



Performance does not meet minimum requirements



Failure for nonattendance



Grade pending 



Passing (D or higher)



Satisfactory (C or higher)














Failure: The Grade of F

The grade of F means a failure to satisfy the minimum requirements of a course. Although it carries no credit, it is included in calculating the grade point average. If you are assigned the grade of F, you must register again for the course, pay the applicable fees, repeat the course, and earn a passing grade to receive credit for that course.

Failure for Nonattendance: The Grade of FN

The grade of FN means a failure in the course because of not attending or participating in course assignments and activities. It is assigned if you cease to attend class or fulfill requirements within the first 60 percent of the session and do not officially withdraw. It is included in calculating your GPA and may affect your academic standing. 

Passing: The Grade of P

The grade of P is posted after a teacher has evaluated coursework under the normal procedure for letter grades and has submitted a standard grade (A, B, C, or D). Then the Office of the Registrar converts that standard grade into the grade of P.

A passing grade is recorded on the permanent record and confers credit toward graduation. However, courses graded P are not included in calculating grade point averages.

Satisfactory: The Grade of S

The grade of S is equivalent to a grade of C or higher. This grade is used to denote satisfactory progress in an experiential setting or practicum, such as EXCL 301. Although the grade of S confers credit and appears on the permanent record, courses graded S are not used in determining grade point averages.

Unsatisfactory: The Grade of U

The grade of U indicates that work for the course was not completed at a satisfactory level. Although it appears on the permanent record, it carries no credit, and is not included in calculating the grade point average.

Substandard Performance: The Grade of D

The grade of D is the minimum passing grade and denotes borderline understanding of the subject. Only a limited amount of coursework in which the grade of D has been earned can be applied toward a degree. For additional information, you should refer to specific certificate and degree requirements in this catalog. Most colleges and universities will not accept transfer courses in which a D has been earned.

Grade Pending: The Mark of G

The mark of G is an exceptional and temporary administrative mark given only when the final grade in the course is under review. It is not the same as a mark of Incomplete.

Incomplete: The Mark of I

The mark of I (Incomplete) is an exceptional mark given only when your work in a course has been satisfactory but for reasons beyond your control, you have been unable to complete all the requirements of a course. The following criteria must be met:

  • You must have completed at least 60 percent of the work in the course with a grade of C or better.

  • You must request the incomplete before the end of the course.

The procedure for awarding the mark of I is as follows:

  • You must ask the faculty member for an incomplete. (Faculty members cannot award an incomplete on their own initiative.)

  • The faculty member decides whether to grant the request.

  • The faculty member sets a date (no more than 120 days after the class end date) for completion of the remaining requirements of the course.

  • Together you and the faculty member agree on the remaining requirements of the course and the deadline for submitting the work.

  • You are responsible for completing and submitting the work prior to the set deadline.

  • After the work is completed, the faculty member submits a grade change to replace the mark of I on your record with a grade.

If the mark of I is not made up by the agreed-upon deadline (which is not to exceed the maximum time allowed after the class end date), the I is changed to an F.

You should refer to UMGC policy 170.71 Policy on Grade of Incomplete for details.

You should be aware that a mark of I in your final session may delay graduation.

The mark of I cannot be removed by means of credit by examination, and it cannot be replaced by a mark of W (definition follows). If you elect to repeat an incomplete course, you must register again for the course, pay the full tuition and applicable fees, and repeat the course. For purposes of academic retention, the course grade is counted as an F. The mark of I is not used in determining grade point averages.

Withdrawal: The Mark of W

The mark of W is assigned when you withdraw from a course. This mark will appear on your transcript, but will not be included in calculating your GPA. For purposes of financial aid, the mark of W is counted as attempted hours.

The mark of W can be posted only when you withdraw from the course through MyUMGC before the deadline for withdrawal.

Changes in Grade

Faculty members may change a grade previously assigned through MyUMGC, the university's online academic and administrative services portal. Any change must be made no later than four months after the class end date.

Grading Repeated Courses

When you repeat a course, only the higher grade earned is included in the calculation of your grade point average.

For purposes of financial aid and satisfactory academic progress, both attempts are counted toward your completion rate. Both grades are entered on your permanent record, with a notation indicating that the course was repeated. You cannot increase the total hours earned toward a degree by repeating a course for which a passing grade was conferred previously.

To establish credit in a course previously failed or withdrawn from, you must register, pay the full tuition and applicable fees, and repeat the entire course successfully.

Limits on Repeating Courses

You may not register for the same course more than three times without prior approval. If you need to register more than three times for the same course, you must contact your academic advisor and submit a course repeat petition form. Your advisor can also explain how repeating the course affects your GPA, transcript notations, and progress toward degree completion.

Note: The limit on repeating courses applies only to courses in which you have received a grade. Officially withdrawing from a class and receiving a mark of W is not counted as an attempt for repeat limits. 

Calculation of Grade Point Average (GPA)

Your grade point average is calculated using the quality points assigned to each grade or mark (see list below). First, the quality-point value of each grade or mark is multiplied by the number of credits; then the sum of these quality points is divided by the total number of credits attempted for which a grade of A, B, C, D, or F/FN was received.

Grades and Marks












GPAs are computed separately for each degree after the first bachelor's degree. Only courses applied toward a second bachelor's degree are computed in the GPA for that degree, even if you earned a first degree at UMGC; only courses applied toward a master's degree are computed in the GPA for that degree, even if you are a graduate of The Undergraduate School at UMGC.

Academic Progress

UMGC assesses your academic standing at the end of every term (fall, spring, or summer), based on all your graded coursework at UMGC. Your GPA is computed for all UMGC grade coursework to make a determination of academic standing according to your level of progress as described below.
If you have questions about your academic progress, email the Office of the Registrar at

Levels of Progress

View the complete UMGC policy 158.00 Academic Levels of Progress.


If your cumulative grade point average is 2.0 or higher is considered to be making satisfactory progress and is in Good Standing.


If your cumulative GPA is less than 2.0, you will be placed on academic warning. You will remain on academic warning as long as your cumulative GPA is less than 2.0—even if your GPA for the term is 2.0 or better.

In addition, if you attempt 15 credits or more in a period of at least two sequential standard terms and earn no quality points, you will receive an academic warning regardless of your cumulative grade point average.

If you are on academic warning and your GPA for the term is 2.0 or better, but your cumulative GPA is less than 2.0, you will continue on warning until you have completed courses at UMGC that raise your cumulative GPA to 2.0 or better.

While on academic warning, you are limited to a maximum enrollment of 7 credits per standard term . 


If you are on academic warning or were admitted on provisional status and your GPA for the term is less than 2.0, you will be put on probation.

If your GPA for the term is 2.0 or better while you are on probation, but your cumulative GPA is less than 2.0, you will return to academic warning or provisional status.

While on academic probation, you are limited to a maximum enrollment of 7 credits per standard term and 4 credits per eight-week session. 


If you are on probation and your GPA for the term is less than 2.0, you will be dismissed.

As long as you maintain an average of at least 2.0 during a particular term, you will not be dismissed at the end of that period, regardless of your cumulative GPA. Once dismissed, you are ineligible to register again for UMGC courses until you are reinstated.

Reinstatement After Dismissal

If you are seeking reinstatement, you are required to

  • Have all your official transcripts from previously attended colleges and universities sent to UMGC, preferably before meeting with your academic advisor.

  • Talk with an academic advisor before petitioning for reinstatement.

  • Complete the forms provided by your academic advisor.

After your record, the advisor's recommendation, and your petition have been reviewed, you will receive a written response. As a reinstated student, you will be placed on warning immediately or will retain provisional status, as appropriate. You may be subject to additional term enrollment limitations during your first term after you return to study. Further information is provided in UMGC policy 158.00 Academic Levels of Progress.

Change of Address or Name

If you move during the session, you should not only leave a forwarding address with the postal authorities but should also notify UMGC by updating your personal information through MyUMGC. If you are leaving Asia or Europe, you must also submit a relocation form through MyUMGC.

Your request can be made through MyUMGC, but must be followed by mailing in the requested documents. To ensure accurate and complete student records, you must continue to register under your former name until the request and documentation have been forwarded and processed.

Your request for a name change on official records of UMGC must be accompanied by one of the following documents:

  • Valid passport

  • Social Security card

  • Valid driver's license or state ID card

  • Marriage certificate

  • Valid permanent resident card

  • Birth certificate

  • Divorce degree

  • Court-approved petition for name change

  • Valid alien registration card

The Demographic Information Update Form may also be used to update/change your name, telephone number, permanent address, e-mail address, date of birth, social security number, and/or emergency contact information.

Contact Us

Our helpful admissions advisors can help you choose an academic program to fit your career goals, estimate your transfer credits, and develop a plan for your education costs that fits your budget. If you're a current UMGC student, please visit the Help Center.

Personal Information
Contact Information
This is a required field.
Additional Information
This field is required.
This field is required.

By submitting this form, you acknowledge that you intend to sign this form electronically and that your electronic signature is the equivalent of a handwritten signature, with all the same legal and binding effect. You are giving your express written consent without obligation for UMGC to contact you regarding our educational programs and services using e-mail, phone, or text, including automated technology for calls and/or texts to the mobile number(s) provided. For more details, including how to opt out, read our privacy policy or contact an admissions advisor.

Please wait as we send your request.