Skip Navigation

Graduate Grades and Records

Learn about grading methods and academic standards as a graduate student at UMGC Europe.

Study with the graduate programs available through UMGC Europe establishes resident credit with University of Maryland Global Campus. Since both faculty members and courses overseas meet academic standards set by the university, courses offered overseas carry resident credit identical to that earned in the stateside programs of UMGC. Thus you may earn a UMGC graduate degree or certificate entirely through study overseas or in combination with study in Maryland, the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area, and other stateside locations. In addition to on-site classroom courses, UMGC offers an extensive array of courses through its acclaimed online program, all of which carry UMGC resident credit.

Grading Methods

There are four grading methods at UMGC. The most commonly used is the standard method. The pass/fail alternative is available only under limited conditions. The satisfactory/incomplete/fail method is restricted to certain specified courses. Any course may be audited. Regulations for each are given in the following paragraphs.


Unless you choose the audit option at the time of registration, you will be given a letter grade according to the standard method. Under the standard grading method, you are given a grade of A, B, C, or F on the basis of your performance in meeting the requirements of each course.


Noncredit courses are graded on a pass/fail basis. You may not choose to take other graduate courses on a pass/fail basis.


This grading method is available only on a limited basis. Although a grade of satisfactory (S) earns credit toward graduation, it is not included in calculating your grade point average (GPA). The mark of incomplete (I) earns no credit and is not included in computing your GPA, but it is included in computing the course completion rate. While a failing grade (F) earns no credit, it is included in computing your GPA.


If you do not wish to receive credit, you may register for courses as an auditor once you are admitted. You must indicate this intention when you register. You may request a change from credit to audit status anytime before the end of the second week of classes.

Audited courses are listed on the permanent record, with the notation AU. No letter grade is given for audited courses, nor are credits earned. If you receive financial aid, you should check with a financial aid advisor before selecting audit as a grading option as this may affect financial aid.

Grades and Marks



Exceeds Standards






Below Standards






Failure for nonattendance



Grade pending




















The Grade of A: Exceeds Standards

Only students who demonstrate exceptional comprehension and application of the course subject matter merit an A.

The Grade of B: Proficient

The grade of B represents the benchmark for graduate students. It indicates that you have demonstrated competency in the subject matter of the course. For example, you have fulfilled all course requirements on time, have a clear grasp of the full range of course materials and concepts, and are able to present and apply these materials and concepts in clear, reasoned, well-organized, and grammatically correct responses, whether written or oral.

The Grade of C: Below Standards

The grade of C indicates that you have passed the course. However, the grade of C is not considered sufficient to meet overall standards for graduate work. Please refer to Academic Standards for further information on the implications of a grade of C.

The Grade of F: Failure

The grade of F means you failed to satisfy the minimum requirements of a course. Although it carries no credit, it is included in calculating the GPA. If you earn a grade of F, you must register again for the course, pay the applicable fees, repeat the course, and earn a passing grade to receive credit for that course.

The Grade of FN: Failure for Nonattendance

The grade of FN means you failed the course because you did not attend or participate in course assignments and activities. It is assigned if you cease to attend class without officially withdrawing from the course. Although it carries no credit, it is included in calculating your GPA. If you receive a grade of FN, you must register again for the course, pay the applicable fees, repeat the course, and earn a passing grade to receive credit for that course.

The Mark of G: Grade Pending

The mark of G is an exceptional and temporary administrative mark given only when the final grade in the course is under review. It is not the same as a mark of Incomplete.

The Mark of I: Incomplete

The mark of I (Incomplete) is an exceptional mark, given only if your completed coursework has been qualitatively satisfactory, but you have been unable to complete all course requirements because of illness or other extenuating circumstances beyond your control. To be eligible for an I, you must have completed 60 percent or more of the course requirements with a grade of B or better. You must request an I from your faculty member before the end of the session. Faculty, however, are not required to grant the request. If you are assigned a mark of I, you must arrange fulfillment of course responsibilities with your teachers to receive credit. Refer to UMGC policy 170.71 Policy on Grade of Incomplete and your course syllabus for more information on deadlines.

The Grade of P: Passing

Since the grade of P is awarded only for noncredit graduate courses, it is not included in calculating the GPA. It does, however, appear on the permanent record.

The Grade of S: Satisfactory

The grade of S is awarded only for select courses. Although the grade of S confers credit and appears on the permanent record, courses graded S are not used in determining your GPA.

The Grade of U: Unsatisfactory

The grade of U indicates that work for the course was not completed at a satisfactory level. Although it appears on the permanent record, it carries no credit and is not included in calculating the grade point average.

The Mark of W: Withdrawal

If you officially withdraw from a course, you will receive a mark of W. This mark appears on your permanent record unless you withdraw before a course begins. For purposes of financial aid, the mark of W is counted as attempted hours. It is not used in determining your GPA.

Change of Grade

In accordance with relevant policies, faculty members may revise a grade previously assigned if your grade has been miscalculated or a mark of I has been submitted and must be changed. Any revision must be made no later than four months after the original grade was awarded.

Repeating a Course

When you repeat a course, only the higher grade earned in the two attempts is included in the calculation of your GPA. For purposes of financial aid, both attempts are counted toward your completion rate. Both grades are entered on the permanent record, with a notation indicating that the course was repeated. You cannot increase the total hours earned toward a degree by repeating a course for which you already earned a passing grade.

To establish credit in a course you previously failed or from which you withdrew, you must register, pay the full tuition and fees, and repeat the entire course successfully.

Computing the Grade Point Average

The computation of academic averages is based upon the quality points assigned for each grade. The grade of F is included in any computation of scholastic average but the grades/marks of U, W, and I are not. When the requirements of an incomplete course are completed and the I is changed to a final grade, an appropriate correction is made in the cumulative GPA. Only grades earned at the university awarding the degree are counted in the GPA. Credits accepted in transfer are not counted in the GPA.

GPAs are computed separately for each degree after the first bachelor’s degree. Only courses applied toward a second bachelor’s degree are computed in the GPA for that degree, even if you earned a first degree at UMGC; only courses applied toward a master’s degree are computed in the GPA for that degree, even if you are a graduate of The Undergraduate School at UMGC.

Academic Standards

Graduate students are expected to maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher at all times.

Academic Standing

UMGC assesses your academic standing at the end of every term. Your GPA is computed for all UMGC graduate-level graded coursework to make a determination of academic standing as described below. For details, see UMGC policy 158.01 Academic Levels of Progress.

Good Academic Standing

If you have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, you are in good academic standing. Good academic standing is one of the criteria you must meet to be considered for graduation.

Academic Probation

If you have a cumulative GPA below 3.0, you will be placed on academic probation in your next term of enrollment. Academic probation is a temporary status. If you are placed on academic probation, you have two terms of enrollment in which to restore your GPA to 3.0. During that time, you must repeat the course(s) that caused your cumulative GPA to drop below 3.0; you may not attempt any other coursework until you have earned a grade of B or better in the repeated course. Failing to restore your GPA to 3.0 or higher or earning any grade below B during the probationary period will result in academic dismissal. If you successfully restore your GPA to 3.0 or higher, you will be restored to good academic standing. You should seek guidance and advice from an academic advisor if you are placed on academic probation.


If you are on academic probation and you fail to raise your GPA to 3.0 or higher within two terms of enrollment or if you earn a grade below B during the probationary period, you will be dismissed. Once dismissed, you are ineligible to enroll in UMGC graduate courses and may be readmitted to UMGC only under the conditions listed in the following paragraphs.

Reinstatement After Dismissal

If you were academically dismissed from UMGC, you can submit a one-time request for reinstatement. Contact your local UMGC academic advisor at and request a Reinstatement Request Form, then submit the completed form and documentation to your academic advisor. You will be required to show that you have improved your skills and made changes in your academic strategies and that you are more likely succeed in your academic endeavors, should you be approved for reinstatement by the Reinstatement Committee.

If you are approved for reinstatement, you will be admitted for one term and placed on academic probation. You must immediately repeat the course(s) that caused your cumulative GPA to drop below 3.0 and must return to good academic standing by the conclusion of this term to remain enrolled. You may also have to meet additional conditions, such as working with a coach or tutor or enrolling in specific courses.

If you fail to attain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher or if you earn a term GPA below 3.0 during the term, you will be academically dismissed, and you will not be eligible to apply for reinstatement or a restart again.

Restart After Dismissal

If you were academically dismissed from UMGC, have not attended the university for a period of at least five consecutive years, and have not been approved for a reinstatement (as described in the preceding paragraph), you may request a one-time restart. Grades and credits previously earned will not apply toward any program you pursue upon your return, and you must fulfill the requirements in effect at the time you restart.

Program Completion Requirements

You are responsible for applying for graduation (for degrees and/or certificates) by completing the online diploma application by the published deadlines. (See Diploma, Graduation, and Commencement section.) The award of degrees and certificates is conditional upon satisfactory completion of all program requirements and compliance with all UMGC policies. Graduation clearance will not be granted if you have an outstanding debt to UMGC or any outstanding misconduct charges or unsatisfied sanction terms. No grade of F can remain on the graduate record at the time you apply for graduation.

Time Limit for Degrees and Certificates

All requirements established for the completion of a graduate degree or certificate program listed in this publication must be fulfilled within five consecutive years. This regulation includes courses transferred from other institutions. Any transfer of credit must be completed within the five-year time frame to be applied toward your degree or certificate program.

Degree Requirements and Continuous Enrollment

In general, applicable UMGC degree and certificate requirements are those that were in effect when you began continuous enrollment in the program, that is, when you completed your first course. If you have not been continuously enrolled, the requirements that apply are those in effect at UMGC when you resumed continuous enrollment. To be considered continuously enrolled, you must be or have been enrolled at UMGC, and you must have had no more than two years of nonenrollment. If you choose to change your program, you are subject to the requirements in effect at the time of the change. In both cases, previously completed coursework may not apply to new requirements.

Change of Address or Name

If you move during the session, you should not only leave a forwarding address with the postal authorities, but should also notify UMGC by updating your personal information through MyUMGC. If you are leaving Europe, you must also submit a relocation form through MyUMGC.

Your request can be made through MyUMGC, but must be followed by mailing in the requested documents. To ensure accurate and complete student records, you must continue to register under your former name until the request and documentation have been forwarded and processed.

Your request for a name change on official records of UMGC must be accompanied by one of the following documents:

  • Valid passport
  • Social Security card
  • Valid driver’s license or state ID card
  • Marriage certificate
  • Valid permanent resident card
  • Birth certificate
  • Divorce degree
  • Court-approved petition for name change
  • Valid alien registration card

The Demographic Information Update Form may also be used to update/change your name, telephone number, permanent address, e-mail address, date of birth, social security number, and/or emergency contact information.

Contact Us

Our helpful admissions advisors can help you choose an academic program to fit your career goals, estimate your transfer credits, and develop a plan for your education costs that fits your budget. If you're a current UMGC student, please visit the Help Center.

Personal Information
Contact Information
This is a required field.
Additional Information
This field is required.
This field is required.

By submitting this form, you acknowledge that you intend to sign this form electronically and that your electronic signature is the equivalent of a handwritten signature, with all the same legal and binding effect. You are giving your express written consent without obligation for UMGC to contact you regarding our educational programs and services using e-mail, phone, or text, including automated technology for calls and/or texts to the mobile number(s) provided. For more details, including how to opt out, read our privacy policy or contact an admissions advisor.

Please wait as we send your request.