Gain a solid software engineering foundation and knowledge and skills in software development and design in this graduate certificate program.
The graduate certificate program in software engineering from University of Maryland Global Campus Europe provides software developers with advanced software methodology, design, and coding techniques. You'll learn aspect-oriented programming, object-oriented programming, and the principles and techniques to lead a software development team.
Gain hands-on experience performing all functions of building software and develop job-relevant expertise in implementing large software engineering projects within cost and on schedule. The software engineering graduate certificate courses include requirements engineering, system design and development, model-based systems engineering, system integration and testing, system engineering management, and more.
About the Software Engineering Graduate Certificate
The curriculum for the graduate certificate in software engineering features projects sponsored by companies and clients so you build software engineering skills you can apply immediately on the job.
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Write a software requirements document
- Design software using UML models
- Develop and test software
- Apply advanced knowledge in computer systems architecture
- Manage the schedule of a complex project on time and within budget, solving conflicts as they arise
- Analyze, design, and implement information systems
- Plan projects, build teams, and create and modify effective control mechanisms
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Complete the development of a corporate-sponsored project through its entire life cycle
- Build software products using object-oriented programming and aspect-oriented programming
- Evaluate user interfaces using contextual inquiry, task analysis, and usability testing
Software Engineering Graduate Certificate Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
- SWEN 603
- SWEN 645
- SWEN 646
- SWEN 647
- SWEN 651
Course Rules and Program Progression
Overall Certificate Requirements
- UCSP 615
- UCSP 615 must be taken within the first 6 credits of study.
- UCSP 615 may be waived if you previously earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution. For more information, contact your academic advisor.
Overall Graduate Certificate Requirements
- You must be admitted as a UMGC student.
- You may pursue a degree and certificate simultaneously or pursue a degree after completing the certificate.
- No more than 6 credits may be earned through transfer from other schools.
- You must satisfy all required prerequisites for certificate courses. You may need to fulfill some prerequisites before beginning certificate coursework.
- You must complete all required coursework with a minimum grade of B (3.0) in all courses.
- Certificate courses may not be taken pass/fail.
- Graduate students may only complete certificates at the graduate level.
Time Limits for Graduate Certificates
You must complete the requirements for a graduate certificate within five consecutive years. The time limit is calculated from the term in which you successfully complete the first credit course that applies to the program.