Strengthen your technical skills as you learn the business of IT with an informatics certificate that can help accelerate your career growth.
The graduate certificate in informatics at University of Maryland Global Campus Europe gives you a strong foundation in all major categories of IT management so that you can take your career in any direction you choose. Develop advanced skills in networking, security, software development, databases, web design, and IT acquisitions to become a valuable asset to any industry.
About the Informatics Graduate Certificate
This curriculum in the informatics certificate program gives you strong quantitative and managerial skills, as well as knowledge in information theory and best practices for developing a variety of systems and products.
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Design information systems, determine system requirements, understand modeling, make decisions, and develop and implement proposals
- Manage emerging technologies such as cloud computing, BYOD, and virtualization
- Design for the web using Java and CGI scripts, as well as usability best practices
- Ensure and manage information security, including risk and vulnerability analysis, security planning, and security architecture
- Apply legal, ethical, and privacy considerations to information assurance decisions
- Master techniques for relational database design, query optimization, concurrency control, recovery, and integrity
- Learn various approaches to developing software using modern methods, including rapid application development and agile development, Scrum, extreme programming, Evolutionary Project Management, lean software development, test-driven development, feature-driven development, Crystal solutions, Rational Unified Process, and other Unified Process methods
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Build a website that contains at least five different media/interactive components, including at least one video component adapted for a smart phone
- Execute an individual project that is based on templates and models related to the CMMI® Acquisition Module from Carnegie Mellon's Software Engineering Institute
Informatics Graduate Certificate Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
- ITEC 610
- ITEC 626
- DBST 651
- INFA 610
- IMAT 637
Course Rules and Program Progression
Overall Certificate Requirements
- UCSP 615
- UCSP 615 must be taken within the first 6 credits of study.
- UCSP 615 may be waived if you previously earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution. For more information, contact your academic advisor.
Overall Graduate Certificate Requirements
- You must be admitted as a UMGC student.
- You may pursue a degree and certificate simultaneously or pursue a degree after completing the certificate.
- No more than 6 credits may be earned through transfer from other schools.
- You must satisfy all required prerequisites for certificate courses. You may need to fulfill some prerequisites before beginning certificate coursework.
- You must complete all required coursework with a minimum grade of B (3.0) in all courses.
- Certificate courses may not be taken pass/fail.
- Graduate students may only complete certificates at the graduate level.
Time Limits for Graduate Certificates
You must complete the requirements for a graduate certificate within five consecutive years. The time limit is calculated from the term in which you successfully complete the first credit course that applies to the program.